Thursday, February 23, 2012

Preparing for Easter

I realized a few years ago that Easter is one of those holidays that always seems to slip up on me.

I mean, there are certain ones you just can't miss - like Christmas.  The lights, music, malls tricked out to no end with ornaments and trees, parties, etc., etc.  And with the way the stores start getting ready pretty much as early as labor day, I feel like I get a pretty good heads up to start preparing my heart to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.

But Easter always gets me.  And I hate that because it really is one of my absolute favorite holidays. How could it not be?  The whole reason I experience such joy and deep peace daily is because of what we celebrate on that day.  Jesus is alive! Currently!  He didn't just rise from the dead but then kind of disappear into oblivion, He is, right now, interceding on my behalf to the Father.  Amazing.

Easter is a big deal.  And so for the past few years I've been trying to figure out ways to start celebrating and preparing my heart at least a month before we actually get to "Passion Week" on the calendar.

Here are a few things I've come up with:


  • Reading through the different gospel accounts of Jesus heading to the cross

  • Reading, memorizing, meditating on Isaiah 53

  • As a part of my devotions in the morning, I've started reading through this book. It has excerpts from a bunch of different books and writings that all have to do with the cross.  Authors include Charles Spurgeon, John Piper, Martin Luther, CJ Mahaney, and Augustine.  It's really great. 


I'm trying to also brainstorm ways to help Levi and all my other future babies prepare to celebrate Easter, as soon as they are old enough to start understanding.

What do you do to celebrate Easter and to prepare for it beforehand?



No comments:

Post a Comment