Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Just finished reading - The Hidden Art of Homemaking

One of my goals for this year is to read a book a month.  So far, I'm about on target.  In January I read Edith Shaeffer's, The Hidden Art of Homemaking, and I really enjoyed it.  Edith's purpose for the book is to show that, because we serve a creative, beautiful, God, Christians should delight in creativity and pursue beauty in all aspects of life.  She writes a chapter on a bunch of different topics (clothes, food, writing, decorating) and shows how we can enjoy the glory of God in each one of them.

The book was particularly encouraging to me because I love crafts, sewing, painting, etc.  I wish I had a gift card to JoAnn's that never ran out.  I wish I knew how to garden and I plan on planting something soon.  I enjoy clothes and decorating and making things beautiful.  This book confirmed that not only are these things not "un-spiritual" but rather the opposite - that if they are done from the right motives, they can bring glory to God because as I express creativity and joy in doing so, I am being like my Creator and bringing glory to Him in the process.

I definitely reccomend this book. You can buy it here.
It's a little old, as you can tell from the cover.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment