Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Our love story - Chapter Two


I think saying that statement out loud is what got my heart going a little bit.  I started to think about him more in “that way” and watch him more carefully.  Lucky for me, we both were going to the same camp again – this time a Precept (an intense Bible study ministry) camp where I would be a student and he would be a counselor.  When I got there I learned that we would be in the same classroom all week.  Such good fortune.  
When he got up to teach, I held onto his every word.  He had such wisdom, and I could tell that he really loved Jesus.  We had a few conversations here and there and I loved how he was so kind, and funny, and humble.  And the great thing was, I knew he wasn’t just putting on a show to impress me; because as far as he was concerned, I was just the little high school girl his sister had been mentoring.  I began to notice that who he was, he was to everyone.  Sweet, gentle, funny, humble, a servant; it didn’t matter who he was talking to, he treated them the same. I loved that about him.  By the end of the camp, I had fallen for him.  Hard.
 Why yes, actually, I think I would like to marry Ben Whittinghill.  Like, for real. 

That summer was the beginning of me falling head over heels for this man that I hardly knew.  I would call it a crush, but that doesn’t quite cover it. And “obsession” is too strong of a word …so place me somewhere in the middle of that spectrum and that’s about where I was.    All I knew was that I had found a man who fit everything I had been praying for and hoping for.  He was exactly what I wanted.
And I was hopelessly attracted to him too. 

I was toast.

I hadn’t dated at all before, and now any chance of me being satisfied with anyone less than Ben went out the window.  Now that I knew that a man like this existed, I couldn’t settle.  I knew that I would either marry Ben, or someone better (not possible.)  My senior year of high school came and went but not without my closest friends hearing me gush about every time I ran into him at church, or heard some wonderful thing about him from my mom or his sister.  I’m sure they thought I was crazy.

The following summer, I went to the same Precept camp again.  Ben, however, did not.  I had just graduated, and would be heading up to Liberty University in the fall.  I remember confiding in one of the counselors there about my feelings for Ben and how hard it was to just be waiting on the Lord and not knowing if this was ever going to go anywhere and hello, I’m moving 8 hours away to Virginia and I’m probably going to come back and find him ENGAGED! 
She, with wisdom from the Lord, encouraged me to just ponder in my heart.  Keep these feelings between the Lord and me and just trust Him with it.  Such good advice.
A few days later, much to my surprise and delight, Ben popped in at Precept on his way to Nashville to say hello to his friends there.  We had one conversation in the lobby.  Nothing special, but I remember feeling really comfortable around him.   What I didn’t know was that something changed for him in that conversation.  He would later tell me that I seemed older to him and that he couldn’t get me out of his head the whole drive to Nashville.  If I had known that then, I would have definitely freaked out.

I moved up to Liberty in the fall, met a lot of friends, met a lot of guys, was told by all sorts of faculty and professors that my husband was probably in this room because pretty much everyone meets their husband at Liberty.  But I didn’t believe them.  And I compared every single guy I met to Ben and couldn’t shake my feelings for him.

And then I came home for Christmas break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment