Thursday, April 5, 2012

Just Finished - To Die is Gain

Kay Arthur said that the best books to read besides the Bible are biographies of people who have walked with the Lord.  There is so much to learn about the Lord when you read about His dealings with faithful believers who have gone before.  It is so faith building.
When I graduated from high school, my mom's dear friend (who would become my mother in law!) loaded me up on biographies and I fell in love.  I have continued to read them through the years, sometimes more often than others, but every time I get to the end of one I think, I should only ever read biographies.  My faith is so strengthened! 


I definitely felt that way after finishing "To Die is Gain" by Mrs. Howard Taylor.  In short, this is the biography of a young missionary couple, John and Betty Stam, who give their life as martyrs in China in the 1930's.  I was challenged by their joyful attitude when faced with death and how faithfully they serve the Lord while they were alive.

This book has caused me to do some serious refocusing on what is really important.  While I'm stressing out over not having my laundry done or having what seems like a never ending pile of dirty dishes, other people are dying for the sake of the gospel.  That is so sobering to me.

You can buy this book here.

Here's one of Betty's poems (many more like it are sprinkled throughout the book.)

Afraid? Of What? 
To feel the spirit's glad release?
To pass from pain to perfect peace, 
The strife and strain of life to cease?
Afraid - of that?

Afraid? Of What? 
Afraid to see the Savior's face, 
To hear His welcome, and to trace
The glory gleam from wounds of grace?
Afraid - of that? 

Afraid? Of What? 
A flash, a crash, a pierced heart;
Darkness, light, O Heaven's art!
A wound of His counterpart!
Afraid - of that? 

Afraid? Of What? 
To do by death what life could not - 
Baptize with blood a stony plot, 
Till souls shall blossom from the spot?
Afraid - of that? 



No comments:

Post a Comment